Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Follow up on Simulation

So I was a bit off on Baudrillard's piece, "Simulation." After attending class yesterday, the fog lifted and I am just writing this so I can remember what exactly it is about and to correct my earlier post.

Baudrillard's main point in his writing is that nothing is real but everything is real. The way I see it, if enough people are convinced that something is real, it's real. For example, the couch I'm sitting on is a couch. But what makes it a couch? A better example, one that we talked about in class, is Santa Claus. Santa is real because we make him real.

Another concept I've thought about before I even read this writing was the fact that the colors we see may not be the actual colors we are seeing. Ok, you may need to pause and think that one through. It's crossed my mind before, and it's kind of made me second guess everything in this world. Kind of creeps me out to be honest.

Well, there's my deep thought for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment