Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Back together at last

Last night marked the first night of my ski season 2012. I couldn't help but write a post on it, I am way too excited. This past Monday, Houghton received a few solid and quite dense inches of that glorious stuff called snow.

I was in the library all afternoon and night, just fidgeting at the flakes fell from the gray clouds, wondering if it's be worth it to strap on my rock skis and headlamp later on. I vetoed it, unsure of the conditions, and of course because I had an absurd amount to do before this upcoming break.

Then, in the middle of my shift at our Fitness Center on campus on Tuesday, one of my friends walked by and gave me some day-changing news. The trails were actually groomed. Of course, I worked till the sun went down, so he told me to grab a headlamp. I was thinking more and more about it, and that's when my dear mom texted me. A smile spread across my face as she told me about an e-mail she got about the trails being lit tonight. Well, there went all hope for getting anything done for the rest of the night...

Right after my shift, I caught some dinner with a few friends and my cousin, then husteld back up to my room where I set some priorities straight for my night...


Yup, dumped the books for some boots. Grabbed my skis and poles, gave em a "welcome back" kiss, then proceeded to change and fly out the door to the trails.

I didn't stop skiing or smiling once I hit the snow until I skied all the groomed and lit trails. I was amazed with the quality of the grooming, even with such little snow. Once finished, I called my parents to share with them my pure joy of skiing before Thanksgiving for the 3rd year in a row. 

That being said, it's safe to say I'm back in a relationship with my skis. It's been too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment