Friday, November 2, 2012

The generation of praise and excessive coddling




I've seen this video from 60 Minutes before, and just stumbled upon it when getting some research done. I thought it brought up an interesting point that I could tie into my project: The Millennials have been arguably overexposed to excessive praise, coddling and phrases similar to "you're special, and you can do anything and be anyone you want to be."

It is somewhat ridiculous how much I can attest to this. Every year of soccer I participated in from age 5 to 12 I got a trophy, just for participating. There were no winners and no losers. Everyone won. And looking at myself today, I sadly truly do expect rewards for good work, even in the smallest circumstances.

60 Minutes also sparked the thought of looking into children's TV shows of the 90's in me. Mister Rodgers is a prime example, like they said. I'm just writing this here so I can get my thoughts out, but TV shows are a good medium I can use in my project for additional research.

I'm still targeting my topic towards technology advances and how it had effected the Millennials as people today. From TV shows to computer games, the Internet, and eventually cell phones, we are a vastly unique generation. Well, back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment