Monday, October 22, 2012

Arguments.

I will be the first to admit I've been putting this post off for a bit. I just returned from one heck of a weekend backpacking trip and am still trying to get my mind out of the woods and into my head so I can concentrate on reading and writing again. But this is always pretty difficult for me, so bear with me as I tread through Wysocki and Lynch's take on arguments in "Compose, Design, Advocate."
First of all, they used a prime example to walk through the steps of forming a solid argument or purpose in a presentation. I'm not sure if the example they used was actually from MTU, but it sure seemed like it to me...boys trying to get girls to join an enterprise, or a club that works on a project typically for a real life client, and accidentally explaining that they just need secretary-like figures. This, of course, offended all the ladies and no one joined.

None of the ladies joined for a few reasons that all added up to a poor preparation on the boys' parts. They didn't seem to think their strategy of persuasion through enough, so this is where Wysocki and Lynch come in to help us through the process. I will keep it short and simple because my eyes are starting to close due to overexposure of the computer screen...
Step one. Formulate a specific purpose and ask yourself what are we communicating and why.
Step two. Find your audience and figure out their ultimate expectations.
Three. The larger context must be considered. Get to know your audience and link the time and place of your presentation of an argument/persuading to your actual argument. In other words, "how will the place and time of your communication affect its outcome?"
Quatro. What strategies will be used? What appeals to the audience? It is clear that the audience must be well examined.
Up top for the high five. It's all about the audience and the medium. What medium will be used and why?
Step six. Order. How the presentation is arranged is also key. Which arguments should go first?
Sept. TEST IT OUT.

Sorry, folks, I'm about asleep. This is as far as I'm making it tonight. All I know is that my mind is indeed still in my hammock out under the stars by the rolling waves of Superior. Bring. Me. Back. Now.


2 comments:

  1. Backpacking sounds so fun, where did you go on Lake Superior? Have you ever been up to Bare Bluff, up by Mount Bohemia? Gorgeous lookout at the top, one of my favorite hikes up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went in the Porcupine mountains! and yeah, it's super pretty up there!!

    ReplyDelete