Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Purpose Statement

For this post, I am assigned to create an outline of my purpose statement for our next big class assignment, finding a situation that can be displayed through creating a digital artifact. I've done a lot of thinking about where exactly I want to go with this, especially since it's a big part of my grade and will definitely eat up a lot of my time in the next few weeks.

I have experience with movie production and editing, going back to me as a 12 year old just goofing around with my best friend. I haven't put a movie together in quite some time, so this is one path I'd be intrigued to take, although it may be a lot of work.

Photo editing is another area where I have some experience, although a lot less than movie editing. I would definitely be willing to go there too, but it may require even more work and patience.

Now for choosing a topic and formulating my purpose statement. One area that has recently caught my attention is my generation's differences from earlier generations. Our personalities and ways of life are so different, even between two adjacent generations. This has really sparked interest in me. Why is this? I believe that a large part of such drastic differences among such close together generations is the revolutionary boom of technology in the past few decades.

Being in this digital media class has really opened my eyes to how digital media and technology in general has such a strong impact on our lives as humans in the 21st century. So, my topic is going to be something related to the personality differences in recent generations (perhaps back to the turn of the 20th century) due to changing technoligies. The focus, of course, will be on my generation, or the Millennials, and how they compare to the rest in the 20th century.

Why should I be communicating this? I think it is important for people, mainly the young adults of today, to understand how our uniqueness in this world is both amazing and dangerous. I believe that we need to look at how we differ from those around us who are both older and yes, often times more wise, than us. We can benefit from understanding the differences we have in the workplace for example, or in relationships in general. Our future bosses will most likely be from other generations than us, so we must understand what separates us from them, other than just birth year alone.



Now I will have to let the brainstorming begin for what medium I want to use to portray this idea. Hmmm....



No comments:

Post a Comment