Wednesday, October 3, 2012

So I'm a Humanities Student

Going to an engineering school that is roughly 70% male, I often get weird looks when I explain to my peers that I'm a humanities student. And yes, as for being part of the female minority, I often get very different looks walking around campus in anything other than sweats and tshirts. (Prime example was yesterday for the Career Fair. I walked 5 minutes across campus in a skirt and heels and got more glances than if I were wearing a gorilla suit and making loud monkey noises at people. It's like they've never seen a girl before.)

Anyways, my work load differs from 95% of the other students here at Tech. Instead of labs, lab reports, exams and online homework up the wazoo, I mostly find myself reading, writing and amusing myself with hobbies in my free time. Yes, I have free time. This is why most people seem to scoff at my humanities area of study. They may think I'm lazy. Or not as smart as them. In reality, I'm just good at writing, and I like it (yup, there's another source of the weird looks).

So being a double minority at this school, a female AND a non engineer, I naturally found myself wondering what I could do with an hour of free time this morning after my 8 AM Stats class. Most students have homework or studying or classes. This is where the perks of not being an engineer come in. I glanced out the window at the cloudless, fall blue sky and the golden trees soaking in the rays. My camera sat next to me on my futon. So I put two and two together and hopped in my car to go to my favorite running place on campus. This time, I left my running shoes and shorts at home though.

And here's what I found. Just a 10 minute walk from my room.







It's safe to say that I love it here. And I love what I'm doing, thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I'm a humanities student as well here, so I can totally relate to what you are saying!

    ReplyDelete