Monday, February 4, 2013

Happy Winter Carnival week

Well, here goes another post on winter activities! What a surprise, I know. This past week I have had quite a lot of adventures, good and not so good.

To start, I skied my first race of the season last Saturday on the 26th of January in Marquette. The Noque takes skiers from Ishpeming to Marquette on a beautiful and narrow trail through the woods and across lakes. The recent snow fall made the woods absolutely gorgeous, and at times I forgot I was racing a challenging 50km race with a bunch of Midwestern geezers.

Me and my friend Adam drove down from Houghton to Marquette, where we parked then shuttled to Ishpeming. Then we proceeded to ski 50km to Marquette where we found our mutual friend from high school, Lewis. Here's a picture of our exhausted and accomplished selves post-race, hats and all:


Next event of the week, Tech finally decided to plow the parking lot where my little Toyota Avalon hangs out when I'm not using it. I mean, they could have taken action about 2 or 3 weeks earlier BEFORE the week-long blizzards and random rain storms hit, but that's cool. Long story short, everyone had to move their cars to a different lot, which is difficult when they're all sitting on a layer of sheer ice under all that snow.

I already knew I'd need help before I even started digging my car out. This was only confirmed when I found this lovely scene waiting for me in Lot 17:



 So I suddenly became a helpless female and decided to take advantage of the 75% male population here at MTU to get some car help. In the end, my two very generous and helpful friends hooked me up to a truck and pulled me off of the ice rink. I owe them.

Next, me and my two buds up here woke up this past Saturday morning to find fresh powder and a rare glimpse of sun. So we decided to go for a little adventure in the woods of the Tech Trails! Here's what we found:





Anyways, today marks the start of Winter Carnival week! The snow statues are going up and the broomball continues. Our team is still undefeated and hopes to go all the way. I am excited to post more   next week! Until then, happy Monday and Happy Winter Carnival!

No comments:

Post a Comment