Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Uhh, is this week over yet?

Well, it's safe to say that we've sure had a change of pace here at Michigan Tech this past week. And yes, it's only Wednesday, ok but it literally feels like Saturday to me. Sure, blame it on the fact that I haven't had class for almost 2 days due to the worst snow storm the western UP has seen in 17 years (as the weatherman told me last night) that dumped close to 3 feet of snow on us in 48 hours. But seriously. Where do I begin.

Well, Monday was normal to say the least. Just another Monday in my book, it consisted of rolling outta bed around 10, bumming around until the worst class ever at noon, then giving a tour to 2 very lovely but sorta awkward families until 4. Then came the homework, dinner, meetings, yeah yeah yeah. Oh, and the rumors started flying about this "huge storm" that was gonna hit, but I just assumed it would be another week long lake effect snow event.

Tuesday was a different story. My 8 AM was cancelled because our professor told us to attend the Career Fair on campus later that day, so that was a good start. Slept in a bit, climbed out of bed to check my e-mail, seeing that my web design class got cancelled due to the weather. I then looked out the window to see if this was really necessary and what I saw made me discouraged to go to my 9:30 programming class. 40+ mph winds, blowing snow, falling snow, bent trees and close to zero visibility is what I saw. Awesome. Grabbed my scarf (thanks mama, I know you're probs the only one reading this!), hat, mittens, iPod, jacket, mukluks and whatnot and headed out into the storm after a hearty breakfast consisting of Honey Nut Cheerios and OJ.

The walk to class was one of the worst. I couldn't see a thing because the wind was whipping my face so hard, and there was a moment when I literally couldn't see 2 feet in front of my face so I had to stop walking until it calmed down. Cars were stuck, students were unrecognizable in their parkas and ski goggles/masks, and snow was everywhere. EVERYWHERE. But I did make it safely to programming. Yipee.

After programming is when the week took a new turn. I received a text saying "Michigan Tech is closed due to severe weather today. Classes are cancelled after noon today. Career Fair is still on." This is a rare occurrence here in Houghton as I've been told, so naturally everyone was stoked about it. I went on with my day, hit the Career Fair, got some work done and so on. Went to bed expecting to sleep in until my class at noon the next day.

I woke up at 6 AM this morning to my phone buzzing under my pillow. I rolled over in my cocoon of blankets to open the text message and squint through the dark at the blinding screen to barely make out the blurry words "Michigan Tech is closed due to severe weather today. Classes are cancelled." I rolled back over and fist pumped the air. This meant I had a whole day to myself and one assignment and possibly 2 hours of work. The Huskies of MTU finally scored a snow day.

So the day went on as a typical weekend-type day. Slept in, got up, ate breakfast while watching Kelly and Michael in DisneyWorld (jealous) then did laundry, cleaned my room, shoveled out my car (see below...) and got ready for my 2 o clock tour. The weather was slightly better surprisingly, still cold and windy though. After my tour, me and 2 of my roommates regressed into 10 year olds and went to go jump in the snowdrifts. More pics of that...

That's the front of my car...ooh wait...

I managed to fall through that hole on the right into an abyss 

gigglin'

notice the lightpost...

Oh, and here's a picture from last Sunday! Apt 305 adventured into the Keweenaw





ANYWAYS.


After enjoying some hot chocolate in the dining hall, we all went back to the apartment for a bit to hang out. That didn't last long. Soon enough, we were jolted back into our boots and jackets by the screeching fire alarm, and we trudged outside once again, assuming it was another annoying drill.

10 minutes later, 2 firetrucks and 5 police cars later, we were still out there, teeth chattering and minds wandering. Turns out, a pipe froze in the workout room, and burst everywhere, flooding the ground and the first floors. So, we were homeless for 2 hours, but everything worked out in the end and now I'm happily enjoying some homemade tomato soup and wondering what the rest of the week will bring..........

No comments:

Post a Comment